Welcome to the Tech Gypsies podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology (and political) news.
In this episode, we talk about Peter Thiel's politics, technology and surveillance, and the failure of Silicon Valley to actually pull of their dystopian vision. It's our longest episode ever, and for that we do apologize. No one should have to listen to more than half an hour of our rants.
Here are some of the stories we referenced:
- "Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize, Redefining Boundaries of Literature" in The New York Times
- "Peter Thiel to Donate $1.25 Million in Support of Donald Trump" in The New York Times
- "More Americans Than You Might Think Believe In Conspiracy Theories" via NPR
- "Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter Provided Data Access for a Surveillance Product Marketed to Target Activists of Color" by the ACLU's Matthew Cagle
- "English man spends 11 hours trying to make cup of tea with Wi-Fi kettle" in The Guardian
- "Uber's Ad-Toting Drones Are Heckling Drivers Stuck in Traffic" in The MIT Technology Review
- "A Google drone brought me a Chipotle burrito -- after a four mile bus ride" via The Drone Girl
Feedback is welcome. (You should email Kin with it though, not Audrey.)