Welcome to the Tech Gypsies podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology (and the politics of technology) news.
In this episode, we talk about this week's massive DDOS attack on the DNS provider Dyn. We also discussed the Internet of (broken, surveilling) Things, Wikileaks's attacks on the freedom of speech, and how Facebook fosters these whole misinformation campaigns.
Here are some of the stories we referenced:
- "Dyn Statement on 10/21/2016 DDoS Attack" on the Dyn website
- "Security Economics of the Internet of Things" by Bruce Schneier
- "Survey shows millennials fall for cyber scams more often than seniors" via The Next Web
- "On the wikileak-ed emails between Tanden and Podesta re: me" by Larry Lessig
- "Disney Dropped Twitter Pursuit Partly Over Image" via Bloomberg
- "Hyperpartisan Facebook Pages Are Publishing False And Misleading Information At An Alarming Rate" via Buzzfeed
- "Spreading the DDoS Disease and Selling the Cure" via Krebs on Security
Feedback is welcome. (You should email Kin with it though, not Audrey.)