Welcome to the (50th episode! of the) Contrafabulists podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology (and politics of technology) news.
In this episode, we talk about data security, advertising as a "hack," psychological manipulation, and "information literacy."
Warning: This episode contains cursing. Apologies. It's Audrey's fault this week. We really are trying to make this a PG / PG-13 podcast.
Here are the stories we referenced:
- "Data Transfers Post-Brexit: Smoothing the Transition" via the Cloudflare blog
- "NSA-leaking Shadow Brokers just dumped its most damaging release yet" via Ars Technica
- "Hacking Attack Woke Up Dallas With Emergency Sirens, Officials Say" via The New York Times
- "Burger King's New Ad Will Hijack Your Voice-Activated Speaker" via Buzzfeed
- "How Uber Uses Psychological Tricks to Push Its Drivers' Buttons" via The new York Times
- "Facebook’s News Literacy Advice Is Harmful to News Literacy" by Mike Caulfield
Feedback is welcome. (You should email Kin with it though, not Audrey.)