Welcome to the Contrafabulists podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology (and politics of technology) news.
In this episode, we talk about the tech industry's response to Charlottesville and the future of "free speech" online.
Here are the companies (and stories) we referenced:
- AirBnB cancels accounts linked to white nationalists
- GoDaddy boots Daily Stormer
- Google boots Daily Stormer
- Twilio says it will changes its Terms of Service to ban hate speech
- Discord shuts down white supremacist accounts
- SendGrid and Zoho close Daily Stormer's accounts
- PayPal says it will changes its acceptable use policy so that its services could not be used "for activities that promote hate, violence or racial intolerance. This includes organizations that advocate racist views, such as the KKK, white supremacist groups or Nazi groups"
- Spotify pulls white supremacist bands from its streaming service
- SquareSpace says it will remove white supremacist websites on its platform
- Reddit and Facebook shut down white supremacist groups on their platforms
- Apple says that it will pull Apple Pay from some white supremacist websites
- Cloudflare ends its support of Daily Stormer
- OKCupid kicks white supremacist Chris Cantwell from its dating site
- The EFF condemns these actions
Feedback is welcome. (You should email Kin with it though, not Audrey.)